Martes, Pebrero 17, 2015

My Garden Floor plan

So here is my plan for my rooftop garden. The area I'm allowed to use is 38' x 16.6'


I have several citrus trees in the plan:
4 Dalandan trees
4 Lemon trees
5 Calamsi trees
4 Kiwi vines (3 female and 1 male)
1 Watermelon patch
3 Herb towers (or maybe just one)
1 Persimmon tree and
2 Tomato patches (or maybe just one)

Let me explain the plan just a little....

That swirly thing in the plan is the staircase leading up to this deck. The floor is solid concrete so I will be making a container garden. The big circle in the lower mid section is a water tank that provides for our place. Oh! I almost forgot! Those black squares are posts by the way. Whether I fail or succeed, I will leave it up to you guys to learn from my mistakes and from my accomplishments (if there will be any). :)

SHELTER
I even plan to set up a small pergola at the upper left hand corner (36" x  72"). Nothing fancy. Just some solid mesh tied with rattan ropes to the posts. will let some creepers grow there for coverage and might make some DIY sofas made out of pallets and place them there too. This patio would be perfect for lazy Sundays.


SUN
The sun rises at the lower right hand side of the floor plan, enough to engulf the whole floor with plant growing sunshine. By noon time there is NO shadow there are the sun is directly above the whole deck. By around 3PM I need to move my plants to empty space near the swirly circle. There is a building to the left of the floor plan that is taller than the one I am occupying. But as the sun sets to the left of the floor plan, the light is concentrated to where I said I move my plants by 3PM :)

If i do not move my plants, they get around 8 hours plus plus (maybe even 9 or 10) of sun exposure. There are days that I get too busy (or lazy) that I neglect to move them. but 8 hours of sun is good :)

KIWI TRELLIS (STEEL vs WOOD vs ALUMINUM)


Steel - offers a sturdy support. I read that each vine would need a trellis that could support 300lbs! I'm pretty sure steel could support that much, but the problem is how do I get them up there? AND THE PRICE!

Wood - also offers sturdy support. I can get it up a spiral staircase too! But... the price. Gawd... I cannot use Palochina wood. It is the cheapest but will rot away. Coating it is another expenditure and might be toxic for my poor growing kiwi vines. And did I mention the price tag?!

Amuminum - offers support less sturdy than wood but can be compensated by the design. Aluminum tubes unlike wood is hollow and unlike steel is thinner. Thou its light weight allows me to move the whole trellis from one floor to another. I just need to weight it down with the plant box. More of this in my blog about my Kiwi vine-plans.


I hope everything goes well! Happy planting everyone!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento