Miyerkules, Pebrero 18, 2015

Growing Calamansi

As a kid back in '93 or '94 we had a huge backyard where we had several plants and trees. We even had a few chickens there. That was, until, we moved to the city to be located closer to where my parents work. We have a small garden here now. about 18" wide, 40' long, and 18" high. As a household, we planted tomatoes, mints saluyot, talbos ng kamote, and Jasmine flowers (What's a garden without our national flower right?).

Throughout those two gardens, I always tried planting the Calamansi tree. We had calamansi abundantly at home, so whenever we would slice them, I would collect the undamaged seeds dig a hole in the garden, and water it religiously until frustration sets in and all hope has wilted to a dry crisp. Thanks to the internet, I found the answer to the nagging question, "why won't my calamansi seeds grow??" Calamansi seeds are coated!

Before the seeds grows, the outer layer will have to rot away. That will take A LOT of time. Luckily we can easily peel this layer until a more tender body reveals itself. After peeling the layer away, use the damp paper towel method and let it germinate. Calamansi seeds have HIGH germination rate so you may only want to germinate seeds equal to the number of trees you can handle when they grow.

 I am not sure if it will grow if you just plant it directly but I'm willing to bet it will! Just make sure to water regularly. Calamansi trees love water and sunshine so make sure to give them both of those. As for the soil, I'm just using the regular one you can easily get from you  local garden place. I bought mine for Php30.00 per sack. SO far it keeps my seedlings happy.

Step-by-step procedure of how to peel the said seeds:

Here is a Calamansi seed. It is slippery and wet.

1) Let it soak in warm water overnight

2) Lift your Calamansi seed like so

3) From the pointy part, try to peel off the outer layer... like so:


4) Peel completely until you are left with a greener, smaller version of the previous seed:

GERMINATION STATION
Allow seeds to germinate using the damp paper towel method. Expose to sunlight daily.

Potting
Once your seeds have sprouted 2 leaves, they are ready to be potted! Be gentle because the root system might be tangled with other roots in the germination station. Make sure not to damage your roots!

PLANT JOURNAL
DAY 1 (germination station): 27 JAN 2015
POTTING: 1 FEB 2015 (when leaves emerged)

Currently my seeds are potted and have grown true leaves!
(taken 18 FEB 2015)

Till my next blog! Happy planting!

6 (na) komento:

  1. Ah ! I will try this now. Salamat :)

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Hello po. How about planting saluyot?Baka pede po makahingi ng idea, beginner po kc ako. Tnx in advance po.

    TumugonBurahin
  3. Hello po. How about planting saluyot?Baka pede po makahingi ng idea, beginner po kc ako. Tnx in advance po.

    TumugonBurahin
  4. Mabuhay! I live in California and my Auntie bought me a Calamansi tree. I'm so excited to grow it.

    TumugonBurahin