Martes, Pebrero 17, 2015

About me

I usually would not put anything about me but it may be necessary to give readers an idea of the growing conditions of the place where I am planting.

I live in Marikina, Metro Manila, a City in the Philippines where the temperature is above 70^C. This is an ideal temperature to germinate and grow tropical plants, however, I face an obstacle typical of city dwellers: I don't have a lot of space where I can plant. A solution I've found is to use containers and pot plants instead of covering our roofdeck with earth and other needed protections such as root shields, water coatings, and the likes. Also, I live next to the street where a lot of cars pass by. Public transportation, FX, Jeeps, Cabs alike, all pass by our house making it a Carbon Dioxide rich environment. Not really nice for us humans, but is a happy breathing place for my little plantlings (my term of endearment for my plants) :)

I live in the third floor of a 4-story building. The Fourth floor being a slightly unused roofdeck, where clothes are hung out to dry. So I thought why not put up a container garden out there! It's a lot of hard work. Everyday I put the plants up so they can soak up all the sun. Then at dusk, I bring them back down to the 3rd floor so they can be safe from the cats that prowl around at night there. Thou the cats may pose a problem in the future when I've potted my full-grown plants, a solution, would be to put an aluminum mesh "fence" to abate the cats that may use my defenseless plantlings as a scratching post.

I've germinated all my plants from seeds. A lot of them have sprouted already.

Here's a list of the plants I germinated and are now growing:
1) Watermelon;
2) Calamansi;
3) Dalandan;
4) Persimmon;
5) Lemon and;
6) Kiwi.

In my other blogs to come, I'm going to talk about the plants I mentioned above.

1 komento:

  1. Good day! You're articles are cery interesting, I also grow some exotic plants here in the province of Bohol. I'm interested in gworing exotic plants and also endemic fruits and flowering trees. Can I know if you still have some kiwi cuttings for sale? Thank you and God bless!

    TumugonBurahin