Martes, Pebrero 17, 2015

DIY Paper Pots

I'm trying to reuse as much as I can when it comes to my garden. I hit a bump when I needed more containers but couldn't find any more at home. I tried asking my neighbors but they're using theirs too. Sigh... These are the problems of a pauper gardener. With only a small amount of money to spare for my garden since I live on a a minimum wage, I went to the place where almost all the questions of life is answered.... THE INTERNET!

Here is a list of things you will need to make your seedling pots:
1) Old newspaper;
2) Scotch tape and;
3) A cylindrical mold (eyeglass container or a pencil holder will do).

Before we get into making paper pots, let's answer the question, "Why paper pots and not the hard plastic ones or the soft plastic ones?"

1. PRACTICALITY
You can easily tear the paper when putting the plant in a pot. You don't even have to get rid of the whole thing since it is biodegradable and will later on be food for your growing plant.

2.ECO FRIENDLY
It is recycled material. You cannot go wrong with this.

3. POCKET FRIENDLY
It is cheap and costs almost nothing (A brand new broad sheet is 15.00 and a roll of tape is approx. 20.00. That should give you A LOT of paper pots).

4, DURABLE
You would initially think that the paper would unravel and the tape would give in. I personally didn't mind if it did since it cost almost nothing to make it. But to my surprise, it lasted the torrents of watering i gave my watermelons. WOW!

But in any case, tiny pots will only house your plants for the first few months and later on will need to be potted in a larger container.

Below is the picture procedure of how to make paper pots:

                                                1. Here is half a sheet of a broadsheet

2. Fold the broadsheet like so:

3. Here is what it looks like after being folded in half:

4. Fold it in half again:


5. Get your cylindrical mold and tape the paper around (Don't tape the paper to the mold!):
It is important to note the you must have at least a third of the paper sticking out so it can form a base.

5. Push the lower parts and tape them in place.




Viola! here is you finished paper pot!


Dimensions: 2 1/2" diameter and 3 3/4" height.


Author's note:

You can also use a bigger mold so you can have a bigger pot. 




Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento